Match More connects our students and families to high-quality summer learning programs.
Meet our Students
A summer wasted is no small thing. The lack of learning opportunities results in “summer slide” — or summer learning loss — that is responsible for half of the achievement gap between lower and higher-income students.
Consider the research (with thanks to the National Summer Learning Association):
- Unequal access to summer learning opportunities explains more than half the achievement gap between lower and higher-income students (Alexander et al, 2007)
- Most students lose two months of grade level equivalency in math skills and reading achievement over the summer months, despite the fact that their middle-class peers make slight gains (Cooper, 1996)
- By the time low-income students reach 6th grade, they have had 6,000 fewer hours of learning time than their middle- and upper-income peers
- Research spanning 100 years shows that students typically score lower on standardized tests at the end of summer vacation than they do on the same tests at the beginning of the summer (White, 1906; Heyns, 1978; Entwisle & Alexander 1992; Cooper, 1996; Downey et al, 2004)
- Children lose more than academic knowledge over the summer. Most children—particularly children at high risk of obesity—gain weight more rapidly when they are out of school during summer break (Von Hippel et al, 2007)
For Match to serve its students and its mission, we have to solve the puzzle of July and August for our students. We have to imagine, work towards, and eventually reach a future where all our students learn and grow every summer.
We are on that road, and we hope you can help.
How We Help
Match More is committed to removing all barriers between our students and high-quality summer learning opportunities
We identify quality summer learning programs for our students and create partnerships to guarantee them spaces and scholarships.
We help our families choose a good fit for their children while supporting them throughout the application process.
We provide financial support for tuition and expenses like swimming lessons, camping gear, and travel.